The 5x3 method
The 5x3 methode was originated in the Office Practice. Using a scheduler notebook or a notebook, in addition with some very simple but very efficient rules .
This is how you rule the chaos!
The 5x3 rule says: „Make notes for 5 working days and for each day note your 3 most important tasks.“
- Try to settle these three tasks with priority.
- Hook off each task when you're done.
- Write everything in the book - no bits of paper.
- Write phonecall/meeting-notes in this book.
- write all tasks and ideas in this book.
- Archive the book - as a valuable historical document !
The tool: the 5x3 folder
In order to work efficiently and professionally, you need to professional tool. The 5x3 Folder A5 crosswise.
Specifically, you need:
- A leather case with space for one, two or three booklet deposits.
- Supplementary note deposits (lined, plain, squared, ...).
- If necessary, a week-calendar.
- A double pocket for cards, slips of paper, receipts ...
- A double bag with loose-leaf binders function.
- A good pen.
- A book-marker.
- A pen holder.
This is why you need this method
In office life, you are bombarded with information and tasks.
You get emails, calls, faxes, letters, you will be approached in the hallway,
receive tasks in meetings and have always recurring tasks, which are attached to appointments.
You might also have own projects, you need to press ahead. And you have repeatedly appointments that can not be forgotten.
You have to write down things, record meetings, make concepts and besides not forget your own ideas.
And all that within milliseconds, if possible.
This flood has to be overcome and you need to keep things in perspective.
No software will do that for you. Even programs like Outlook are only limited help and are -
even if you create 200 strokes per minute - sometimes just too complicated.
You lose track, or take a long time to get an overview - too long.
With the 5x3 method and the 5x3 folder you create order by creating yourself a calming influence,
like a bridge, on which you are the captain and keep track.
The book for the 5x3 method
For this method to the 5x3, there is a detailed explanation - written down in a book. Only in german language.
This is why this method works:
- With the 3 priority tasks that you do every day, you control yourself - keep track and do not lose yourself in the details.
With the 5x3 folder you move outside the IT systems (Outlook, SAP, DATEV, ... ) and will not be overwhelmed by the mass of tasks.
- If you only settle 2 of the 3 tasks every day, then you will be noticeable progressed in a few weeks to where you want to go.
- If you just have only one place where everything is, what they wrote down on that day,
then you will always know where to look, and there's no need to lose a piece of paper with important information,
gain confidence and save a lot of time.
- If you can write something down quickly, because you did not find the right place in your computer program
right away, then you will write down everything, nothing forgotten and save a lot of time.
- If you have at the end of the day processed each item on your list, then know that you have not forgotten anything.
- If you know the essential things, objectives and checklists always right there,
then you have an overview always at your fingertips. That makes sovereign.